Professional Remodeler’s 2007 Best of the Best Design awards recognize design, quality construction, and exceptional value in remodeling projects. Projects were judged on aesthetic and appeal; value delivered for the price; quality of workmanship; space planning; and how well challenges were met.
Below is featured Powell Construction’s winning Kitchen project.
The homeowner longed to fashion a kitchen that would become center stage as a gathering place for meals and mingling. Our design/remodeling team’s attention to the client’s needs and details generated a modern, streamlined design that is now open, light, and ready for entertaining.
Before & After
Dark, cramped and cluttered, this dated kitchen needed a complete transformation. The owners love to cook and entertain. In fact, they have almost every culinary gadget and appliance available but didn’t have a proper place to house them.
The end result is a beautiful streamlined design that is open. light, and ready to take center stage.
Design & Function
One, Two, Three wishes…
Wish #1 -A bright and open kitchen that is both more functional and inviting for cooking and entertaining.
- Professional grade appliances provide the chef with professional results. In addition to the 36″ gas range and oven combination, this dream kitchen is also equipped with a single wall oven, a convection microwave, and wall mount vent hood. The double drawers of the dishwasher function independently of one another and allow you to use one drawer for smaller loads or both for large ones. Perfect for a dinner of two or twenty. (photo below right)
- The island provides extra space for food preparation and serving. Its height variation buffers the main food prep area. The new banquette offers comfortable seating for guests. (large photo above)
Wish #2 -Plenty of display options for a prized collection of vintage jadeite glassware.
- A combination of open and closed cabinets above the countertops provides ample storage and lighted display for jadeite treasures.
- A prized collection of jadeite glassware was the inspiration for the Ice Mint Blend mosaic tile used on the backsplash.
- The reflective surfaces of stainless steel, quartz, glass cabinet doors, and glass tile mimic the shine on vintage jadeite dishes. Combined, the surfaces sparkle and reflect light in every direction adding to the kitchen’s wonderful open feel.
Wish #3 -Storage for an endless compilation of kitchenware and culinary gadgets.
Appliances now remain hidden behind garages or in easy lift-up work surfaces that tuck under the cabinets until needed.
An innovative hideaway serves as a liquor cabinet while others warehouse spices and taller items.
A stainless steel under-mount sink and a pull-out faucet sprayer make clean-up simple.
A built-in coffee bar was added to simplify serving guests and allows for even more storage and display.
A new banquette (larger photo below) offers additional seating and is more easily accessed than its predecessor. (larger photo below)
The taller-than-average island provides standing room, seating, extra space for food preparation and a serving area. Its variation in height buffers the main food prep area. (large photo above)
Our team’s attention to the client’s needs and details generated a modern, streamlined design that is now open, light, and ready to take center stage.